1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino Tilt Shift Column
The 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle and El Camino were iconic muscle cars that defined an era. These cars were known for their powerful engines, sleek styling, and excellent performance. One of the most sought-after features of these cars was the tilt steering column.
The tilt steering column allowed the driver to adjust the steering wheel up or down for a more comfortable driving position. This was especially important for taller drivers or those who wanted a more personalized driving experience.
If you are the owner of a 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle or El Camino with a tilt steering column, then you know how important it is to have a functioning column. The tilt steering column is a complex piece of equipment, and it is important to keep it in good condition.
Original Condition of the 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino Tilt Shift Column
A 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino tilt shift column in original condition would exhibit the following characteristics:
- Smooth, unblemished surface: The column should be free of any major dents, scratches, or cracks.
- Original finish: The column should retain its original factory finish, which could be chrome or painted.
- Intact components: All of the column’s components, such as the shift lever, tilt mechanism, and wiring, should be in place and intact.
- Smooth and effortless tilt: The tilt mechanism should operate smoothly and effortlessly, allowing the steering wheel to adjust easily.
- Secure locking mechanism: The tilt mechanism should have a secure locking mechanism that prevents the steering wheel from moving inadvertently.
- Fully functional shift lever: The shift lever should move freely and engage all gears without any issues.
Identifying an Original 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino Tilt Shift Column
Several factors can help you identify an original 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino tilt shift column:
- Part numbers: The column should have the correct GM part numbers stamped on it.
- Date codes: The column may have date codes stamped on it that indicate the date of manufacture.
- Appearance: The column should match the original appearance of the car, including the finish and style.
- Functionality: The column should operate smoothly and function correctly.
Preserving the Original Condition of the 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino Tilt Shift Column
Proper care and maintenance can help preserve the original condition of the 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino tilt shift column:
- Regular cleaning: Regularly clean the column with a mild detergent to remove dirt and grime.
- Lubrication: Lubricate the tilt mechanism and shift linkage regularly to ensure smooth operation.
- Careful handling: Avoid excessive force or rough handling to prevent damage to the column.
- Professional restoration: If the column is damaged or in poor condition, consider seeking professional restoration from a qualified mechanic.
The 1968-70 Chevy Chevelle/El Camino tilt shift column is an essential component of these iconic muscle cars. Its smooth operation and adjustable steering wheel position contribute to a comfortable and personalized driving experience. By maintaining the original condition of the tilt shift column, owners can preserve the authenticity and value of their classic vehicles.